Foreign trademarks

If you are interested in countries which are not part of the Madrid System, or in just one or two countries which are members of the System, it would be advisable to register your trademark separately with the industrial property office in each country concerned.

This option may prove less costly, given the limited number of countries involved.

Nevertheless, you should bear in mind that:

  • You may need to enlist the services of an industrial property consultant, depending on the countries concerned.
  • If there are any issues with your application, your contact will be the national office handling filings, and their rules may be different from those of the D.P.I. ;
  • The working language may not be French.
  • After registration, you will need to manage a portfolio of trademarks with different renewal dates.